Cale School Garden

Flowers, fruit and vegetables grown by the students at Paul H. Cale Elementary School.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

It's not the heat. . . okay, yeah, it's the heat.

I spent a great three hours in the garden this morning. Everything was well watered when I left. In fact, there was a small lake surrounding the sunflowers and beans. They sure need it. This heat is great. . . for the weeds. Ms. Garza came by to help out and we managed to completely week the bed with the cucumbers and zucchini. Thanks!

The spots where the peas, spinach and lettuce were have pretty much run their course for now. They like cooler weather, so we can try them again in the fall. In the mean time, I'll bring the tiller in the morning and get ready to put something else in there for now? Any thoughts?

So while I was at Lowe's this afternoon, getting some concrete for our sign, I ran into one of our parents who generously (and anonymously) bought us a couple of rose bushes. They're the loose-petaled, slightly scented kind (I can't remember their name at the moment), not the tight-petaled kind that florists like so much (and I don't). I think they'll make a great disguise for one of our crooked fence posts.

Tomorrow I should be there a bit early, around 8:30 am. It's better to get some work done while it's still relatively cool. It's suppose to be a real scorcher, so I'll probably call it a day around 11:00. Come on out and lend a hand if you'd like.

Thai basil has a nice taste, a little cinnamon-y.


Cukes and Zukes


The Three Sisters


Beans and Tomatoes


That, my friends, is a baby pumpkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment