Cale School Garden

Flowers, fruit and vegetables grown by the students at Paul H. Cale Elementary School.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

What I Did On My Spring Vacation

Some people might think that Spring Break is for relaxing.  Unfortunately, it's also the time to put a lot of work into the garden.  Still, it's much more pleasant to spend time out in the garden than in front of a TV or computer.  .  .  really.  Maybe it's not quite as pleasant as being on a beach, but still . . .

Monday, Mr. V. and I started getting ready to put up the new fence around the garden.  We had the aid of a power auger to dig the post holes, but with all of the rocks it was still a pretty long process.

Wednesday, Phil and Deirdre Armstrong of Harvest Thyme Herbs came with their tiller to help get our beds ready.  Larry, a garden club regular, also came out to help and was a great help hauling all of the rocks out of our post holes and the garden.   He also helped me finish measuring out the fence line.   The Armstrongs, Phil and Deirdre, grow a lot of produce for many of the local restaurants around Charlottesville and Staunton.  They're great friends and really believe in what we're doing in the garden.

This morning, Mr. V., Alex, Joe, and I came out to work some more on the post holes.  Our load of mulch for the flower bed came just as we were finishing up working this morning.  Later in the afternoon, I finished up the holes with the help of my friend Ian.  Right afterward, Mr. V.'s friend, Heather, delivered our fence posts and the slats for the fence.  Heather also lent us the auger.  I really can't thank her enough for the donations and the use of her tools to get this project going.

Tomorrow morning, Mr. V., Don Lepsch, and I will be setting the posts.  I think Alex, Joe, and Larry may be back to help as well.  If anyone else would like to come out and help, you'd be more than welcome.

Let me finish up by saying, this garden wouldn't exist without help and donations from a lot of people.  I don't want to make a list, for fear that I'd unintentionally leave someone off the list.  (Actually, I'm working on just such a list.  Look for it soon.)  I'll just say, I couldn't do this without friends.  Thank you all very, very much.  If you're in garden club, or even just a teacher, student, or parent who appreciates the garden, don't forget to say thanks to these fine people when you see them.

So Happy Easter, Happy Passover, and go Red Sox!


On Wednesday, Phil and Deirdre Armstong came to till our garden beds. 
Mr. V. and I dug holes for the fence posts.

The auger that helped dig the holes. . .
and made blisters.

An action shot.

Joe and I checking out the progress.

Meanwhile. . . we had the mulch for the flower bed delivered.
(Is it just me or does the grass look purple in that picture?)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Mark, and all of your friends, who make the Cale Garden a magical place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Mark! Nothing like knowing how to grow your own food and spend time outdoors! You are teaching students there is more fun than video games and virtual reality!
    Thanks for your hard work with this project!
    DeeDee

    ReplyDelete